My main area of interest appears to be green models from the Allied WWII European Theatre - 1944-45.
I go astray a few times, but usually go back there.
I am not a master modeler and I am not showing off, just using this as a venue to express myself and show people who are interested in this kind of stuff what I have done.

Tuesday 1 January 2013

Tamiya Jagdpanther G - New coat of paint - Update 1

So this is the Tamiya Jagdpanther, the one I tried a couple of times, did some learning on, and finally stopped.

It started on this blog entry
http://joegmodelhobby.blogspot.ca/2011/08/in-progress-jagdpanther-update-1.html

and ended on this one, with a few in between if you have the time to go looking.
http://joegmodelhobby.blogspot.ca/2012/01/done-with-it-jagdpanther-update-34.html

I dipped it in Easy Off and started from scratch. I am still trying to pull off a late war/Eastern Front G model with the dark green base coat, and I had finally found the inspiration for this try. I won't post his pictures here, but you can got to this website and see. It is a 1/16 scale RC, but I think the pattern will work quite well with my 35th scale beast.

http://precision-panzer.moonfruit.com/#/jagdpanther/4543165665

I am painting in the house these days, so it's back to Tamya XF colors with X20-A thinner.. Not much smell, cleans up with 70% ISO Alcohol. I like the Tamiya lacquer thinner better with these acrylic paints (which are lacquer based though - did I get that right Steve R?) ), but this works for me until I can go out in the shed again.

I usually mix paint to thinner 1:1.
The green is XF-58 green : XF-60 dark yellow in a 4:1 ratio.
The dark brown (which is actually red primer at this stage of the war) is XF-9 Hull Red : XF64 Red brown in a 2:1 Ratio
The yellow is XF60 Dark Yellow : XF57 Buff : XF2 White in a 7:2:1 ratio.

This version also has skirt armor over the wheels and lower hull, or Shurzen, as it was called by the Panzer forces.

If I can do a decent job with the weathering and finish I think it will look sharp.

Here are the first progress shots of the base coat. It took a couple of passes with the airbrush (Badger 200) with each color to get the edges sharp enough for my liking, but the weathering will blend that together when I get to that step.

Have a look and please pass on your comments.






No comments:

Post a Comment